J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit an Accounting Apprentice
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Construction, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Mechanical and Electrical engineering , Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution
J Tomlinson are looking for an Apprentice to join their Finance department and gain an understanding of the entire Finance division within the business.
The role will be full time at 40 hour per week alongside studying for your Assistant Accountant Level 3 qualification lasting 18 months to 2 years. Depending upon the Apprentice framework you may be on, you will usually be attending college either once a week or once a month. You will be allocated a mentor who will work alongside you to ensure you’re getting the most out of your learning and your experiences within the business.
The role will entail exposure and training in the following areas of Finance:
• Setting up Suppliers on system
• Looking up supplier invoices on digital database
• Supplier Statement Reconciliations
• Running off tradex reports and chasing colleagues for action.
• Invoice registration and checking processes (KOFAX).
• Chasing subcontractors for valid insurance details, ensuring the database is kept up to date.
• Run Credit rating reports
• Setting up customers on system
• Chasing for payment – written and verbal
• Checking and input of applications for payment to our customers
• Sending out Customer Statements
• Cash Allocation
• Running reports (including month end reports)
• Processing sundry payment requests – including liaison with staff within company
• Collating of Management Account Packs
• Inputting of journals for accruals, prepayments and cost reallocation
• Setting up of standard accounts reports
• Basic Control Account Reconciliations
• Maintain Fixed Asset register
• Bank Reconciliation (matching process)
• Preparing payroll journal for posting
• Updating operative holiday spreadsheets
• Processing expense claims
• Query timesheet postings
• Reviewing operatives recoveries
Non Finance Experience
• Spend time with CLO’s, (Customer Liaison Officers) – to give exposure to our customers and work scheduling
• Time on Reception dealing with Switchboard, franking machine etc.
• Site Visits
During your time as an apprentice you will be given projects to complete which cross various disciplines within the business. Examples of the projects you may be asked to complete are give below.
• Write training manuals for new systems
• Set up a tagging and recording system for Fixed Assets.
• Maintaining Company Property register
• Gathering Information for Insurance renewal
• Roll out of mobile expenses application
We are looking for candidates who are enthusiastic to start their career in Finance.
The ideal candidate will need;
• GCSE in English, Maths and IT at Grade 4 or above or equivalent