Electrical Qualifying Supervisor
J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit an Electrical Qualifying Supervisor.
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Care, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Engineering Services, Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
Electrical Quality Control Supervisor /
NICEIC Qualifying Supervisor
Reporting To Job Title
Technical Compliance Manager (SHEQ)
To ensure monitoring of Electrical Safety and Electrical Quality in accordance with legislation, Electrical Standards, Company Policies and the J. Tomlinson Ltd Electrical Safety Management System by undertaking audits of Domestic and Commercial electrical works completed by our directly employed and sub-contractor electricians and multi-skilled operatives.
Provide day to day support and guidance to electrical and non-electrical employees of the company.
Maintain the role of NICEIC Qualified Supervisor for commercial and domestic electrical works in accordance with the NICEIC Rules.
· To complete programmed site visits in accordance with the Electrical Safety Management System and as directed by the Technical Compliance Coordinator.
· Undertake accompanied site visits with directly employed personnel and sub-contractors providing technical guidance, instruction and support.
· Complete detailed site inspection reports covering satisfactory and unsatisfactory standards of work. Ensuring work has been completed to the design, specification, national and local standards, good working practices and current relevant legislation including a Review on failed QC checks and confirm close out action by department.
· Ensure reports are forward to the Technical Compliance Coordinator on a daily basis for distribution.
· To lead on electrical investigations as directed and provide comprehensive reports which may be distributed to all levels of management.
· To be part of the review process for changes to company directives and management systems.
· Deliver company electrical inductions and tool box talks to electrical and non-electrical employees and subcontractors, support to deliver ESMS induction.
· Review completed Company and NICEIC certification and sign off in accordance with the NICEIC rules and company procedures.
· Provide technical support and guidance to Designers, Estimators, Managers and Sub-contractors including sampling and monitoring compliance to the ESMS.
· Monitor the calibration of electrical test instruments used within the company and provide support with PAT testing.
· Undertake the role of Appointed Person when necessary on specialist electrical works or projects.
· Check test results by sample testing to ensure the quality of the work satisfies current good engineering practice and J Tomlinson’s quality standards.
· Undertake the role of NICEIC Qualifying Supervisor and oversee electrical quality, electrical procedures as required by NICEIC enrolment, rules and company electrical quality procedures. This role will be as part of the NICEIC QS team employed throughout the company.
· Work with others to ensure customer satisfaction is maintained at all times. Attend client interviews and meetings as directed.
· Promote J Tomlinson in a manner likely to maximise possible future work opportunities. Promote and work as ‘One Team’.
· Comply with Company Procedures and Protect the Company’s interests at all times.
· Carry out ad hoc duties as necessary or directed.
· Undertake additional training as necessary to meet the requirements for CPD and personal development.
· Advise and guide on Electrical Compliance to the business and Technical Compliance Manager
· Deliver Safe Isolation Training as agreed by the business and Technical Compliance Manager
· Develop and provide Electrical Compliance Report and record of inspections monthly to the Technical Compliance Manager.
· Develop electrical competence, specific electrical training, issuing technical bulletins etc.
· Review electrical contractors in H&S approval process to support SHEQ Coordinator.
· Continued development of Electrical QS competence – quarterly Electrical Technical HUB meetings.
· Point of technical competence for planning, reviewing ESOS and compliance.
· Prepare and complete a programme QC check, minimum 1 per project, dependant on level of electrical risk and complexity of project as agreed with Contracts Managers and to be department specific, including the Witnessing of Testing and commissioning as agreed with the Contracts/Project Manager.
· Review new subcontractors and make sure all reasonable requirements are met in line with statutory compliance and JTL company requirements.
· Undertake reviews of subcontractor’s documentation for Projects and contracts to allow the operational teams to be fully supported throughout the delivery of their work.
· Achievement Orientation – Driven to accomplish goals and complete tasks
· Perseverance – Pursues goals despite obstacles and/or challenges
· Service Orientation – Creates customer loyalty through courteous, timely, and helpful service
· Building Relationships – Develops collaborative relationships to facilitate current or future goals
· Influence – persuades others to a desired result
· Managing Conflict – Manages hostility between individuals or groups when disagreements occur
· Initiative – takes action without direction from others
· Political Awareness – Recognises and works within the political environment of an organisation
· Quality Orientation – Emphasises producing quality products and/or meeting quality standards
Person Specification – Desired/Essential Criteria (D/E)
Essential qualifications required
· Electrical Apprenticeship or Mature Candidate or NVQ level 3 in Electrical (E)
· C&G 2400 design (or equivalent) (E)
· C&G 2391 inspection and testing (E)
· C&G 2382/18 (18th edition) (E)
· NICEIC QS experience (E)
· Renewable Technologies Qualifications (D)
· NEBOSH/IOSH/SMSTS Health and Safety (D)
· Hold Technical Qualifications in Electricity or construction to HNC/ONC (D)
· Qualifications in ground and air source heat pumps (D)
· Qualifications in Photovoltaic and Heat Pumps (D)
· At least 3 years’ experience as a NICEIC Qualifying Supervisor (D)
· Fully conversant with Technical Standards and Regulations (E)
· At least 3 years’ experience as a manager or supervisor within the construction industry (D)
· A track record of implementing and/or developing Technical Compliance procedures (D)
· Experience gained within construction and/or housing environments (E)
· Experience working with compliance bodies (E)
· Experience in the development and/or implementation of management systems (D)
· Experience in working with subcontractor and consulting audit companies (D)
Abilities (Skills, Behaviours):
· Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to build relationships and work co-operatively with multi-disciplined groups
· Assertive, whilst taking people on the journey
· Leadership and influencing skills to raise the bar and drive a culture of continuous improvement
· Team player, but also comfortable working alone
· Ability to operate across different business environments (Construction, M&E, Maintenance)
Measures of Success
- Continue to secure existing accreditations
- Number of audits
- Increase the quality of workmanship produced as a Group
- Improve the technical knowledge within the Group
- Reduce unsatisfactory audits
What We Offer
In return we offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications. We also offer attractive benefits that include pension and life assurance.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please ensure that you fit the eligibility criteria above. Send your cv and a covering letter using the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to each one and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.