J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit an Estimator.
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Care, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Engineering Services, Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
|Department||Engineering Services & Refurbishment|
|Objectives / Purpose of Role|
|To be able to estimate work of projects by gathering proposals, blueprints, specifications, and related documents.
The estimator must be, good forward planners and are often required to make judgements/assessments in relation to budget costs from limited information. As an estimator you would work closely with other professionals including construction managers, planners and design teams, so team working skills are essential.
|· Review of tender information for accuracy and completeness supported by the Assistant Estimator and Administrator.
· Downloading tender documents if required in busy periods
· Take off and measurement to produce Bill of Quants/checks on measures
· Review of ground conditions and SI
· Production of cut and fill as required
· Support in the production of Constraints Plan
· Review Service and Utilities quotations and capacities
· Undertake financial check on contracting entity
· Develop relationships with the Client PM/EA and consultants as required
· Bill preparation as required
· Production of benchmark rates
· Engaging with peer consultants to undertake peer reviews/checks
· Use of Conquest to manage cost information and produce costings
· Preparation of supply chain lists
· Production of the Prelim book supported by the PM
· Review the construction programme
· Issue of enquiries with support of administrator and assistant
· Chasing of subcontractor returns
· Management of clarifications and co-ordination of these with the DM/PM
· Analysis of subcontractor returns with support operationally and in terms of design
· Review of the subcontract database
· Providing key dashboard and reporting information as required
· Meeting with key subcontractors – Arrange and lead these meetings supported by DM/PM
· Maintaining good relationships with subcontractors – including return of feedback
· Engaging in tender launches and adjudications
· Engagement with bid team to ensure timely production of submission information
· Management of post tender clarifications and production of post tender information
· Review of any contract/LOI/PCSA documents for accuracy
· Handover of the project if successful to the Operations Team
· Understanding fully site constraints
· Detailed review of tender documents, including review of specs/drawings/reports/legals
|· Proficient in the use of MS office suite and PowerPoint and Conquest.
· Effective communication skills
· The ability to work to tight deadlines and on multiple schemes
· High attention to detail
· Ability to interpret information given by others and present it clearly both verbally and in writing.
· Measurement abilities
· Awareness of marketplace trends and benchmarking
· Able to communicate with teams in the supporting of the Bid function in preparation of items including tender documentation and presentations.
· Demonstrable experience of working in a bids and tendering department
· Ability to competitively price and win tenders
· Experience of single and 2 stage tendering processes
· Ability to produce a cost plan
· Technical review of subcontractor returns and tender documentation
· Construction technology and understanding of build techniques
· Ability to understand a contract programme
· Ability and experience working on multiple tenders at a given time.
· Understanding of different contract forms, JCT/NEC
· Basic awareness of BREEAM
· Understand basic contract types and procurement routes
· Good understanding of construction technologies and construction processes
· Negotiation techniques to ensure competitiveness
What We Offer
In return, we offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications. We also offer attractive benefits that include pension and life assurance.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please ensure that you fit the eligibility criteria above. Send your cv and a covering letter to the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to everyone and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.