HR Business Partner
J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit an experienced HR Business Partner to take forward the People Strategy across the business.
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Construction, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Mechanical and Electrical engineering (M&E), Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
The HR Business Partner (BP) plays a crucial role in the execution of the HR Strategy and Operations. Partnering with Business Leaders in support of strategic business objectives, the BP will advise and coach managers and employees in all elements of the employee life cycle and talent management, including identifying current and future people implications. The BP will work collaboratively with the Head of People Strategy to develop and deliver integrated HR solutions, including workforce planning, performance management, succession planning, employee relations and leadership development.
This position will support J Tomlinson Ltd senior leaders in aligning organisational strategies, goals and priorities with our values and behaviours as modelled through the One Team Wheel. You will encourage the use of innovative People Management/Organisational Development resources, tools and practices to reinforce and positively change beliefs, attitudes, operating models and structure of organisations so that J Tomlinson Ltd staff can better adapt to new technologies, markets, challenges while fulfilling their vision and mission.
Function as a Strategic Partner with executives, managers and employees, including:
- Acts as a thought partner with managers to improve people-related priorities in the business unit.
- Assist leaders with strategic planning and forecasting needs regarding people and culture.
- Provides assistance and guidance to line management on a broad range of human resource policies, programs, and practices.
- Coach business leaders and managers on HR and people management practice.
- Maintain current understanding of assigned departments including their strategy and people related issues by becoming a valuable member of divisional leadership team
- Participate in the development of the annual HR strategic plan.
- Become an Employee Champion acting as a single point of contact and intermediary for employees and management in assigned business units.
- Implement HR-related programs within business units, such as rewards and recognition and employee development initiatives.
- Provides guidance, counselling, and training to managers and employees on employee relations issues.
- Assist line management with issues related in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, employee wellbeing and other HR topics.
- Actively investigates and recommends solutions to employee relations issues in a quick and efficient manner.
Act as a Change Agent for divisional groups, working to:
- Collaborate with business leaders to design organisational structures, job roles, and talent management processes to drive organisational strategy.
- Function as HR lead for divisions going through organisational restructures.
- Evaluate the impact of proposed changes on employees and manage change to minimize disruption to the business.
- Advise leaders on the need for, development and ongoing changes of the department’s people plan.
- Actively partner with business leaders and work with them to collaboratively identify best practice improvement.
- Lead and manage specialist projects as assigned by the Head of People.
- Identify, design and deliver Learning and Development Programmes to bridge skills and knowledge gaps across all roles, all divisions and the wider business in partnership with the wider HR/People team. Where internal resource is limited or independent training is required, source and engage external expertise to support, in line with training budget.
Act as a Functional Expert who works to:
- Maintain current understanding of the assigned departments strategy and people related issues by becoming a valuable member of assigned divisional leadership team.
- Scan the broader business environment on an ongoing basis for trends and issues that may affect talent management in the organisation.
- Maintain a current knowledge of legislation and regulation that relate to HR issues and participate in developing appropriate policies and procedures.
- Analyse a broad range of HR data to identify valid insights and convert these insights into recommendations the business can use to make decisions.
- Apply rigorous project management techniques to planning and implementing cross-functional HR initiatives that support current and future business strategies.
- Coordinate with HR department function experts and others to deliver on business requests and solve business problems.
- Communicate regularly with the wider human resources/people team to exchange information and provide ongoing support and problem resolution.
- Proactively research and identify best practice initiatives and deliver as appropriate.
- Attention to detail with strong planning, organisation and prioritisation skills
- Able to interpret system data
- Good grasp of IT – particularly Excel
- Well-developed communication skills. Able to build and sustain relationships with key stakeholders
- Five-plus years of progressive HR experience; preferably working in a generalist role with accountability for employee relations and experience in at least two of the HR functional areas: performance management, rewards, learning or organisational development. (E)
- Strong consultation Skills and experience influencing and interacting with senior managers and executives. (E)
- Thorough knowledge of human resource management practices and employment related legislation. (E)
- Demonstrated HR experience in a multi-business unit environment. (E)
- Proficient in coaching, mediating, influencing, facilitation, presentation, communication, analysis, and problem solving. (E)
- Professional certificate in HR/Personnel Management at Level 5. (E)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate complex ideas and business concepts in accessible terms. Able to exercise excellent professional judgment. (E)
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Strong influencing skills with senior leadership.
- Highly analytical with proven problem-solving skills.
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated capacity to work as a business / ministry partner with managers.
- High service / customer orientation. Outstanding people and client relationship skills. Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Sound understanding of contemporary HR practice and experience in successfully implementing HR policies and initiatives in complex settings.
- Demonstrable credibility with key stakeholders either within J Tomlinson ltd. or externally.
Apply for this Job
What We Offer
In return we offer a competitive salary that will be dependent upon your experiences and qualifications. We also offer attractive benefits that include: pension and life assurance.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please ensure that you fit the eligibility criteria above. Send your cv and a covering letter to the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to everyone and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.