Managing Quantity Surveyor
J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit a Managing Quantity Surveyor
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Care, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Engineering Services, Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
|Objectives / Purpose of Role
|To oversee the commercial and project teams at a site level and assist the Commercial Manager in ensuring actions and issues are acted upon and closed out in a timely manner in accordance with good practice and Senior Leadership Team requirements. To lead by example and ensure the commercial team is behaving in a manner consistent with the companies’ core values and ensure the support is offered to all members of the team in carrying out the commercial function.
|– Ensure the Construction Management Team are kept informed of any potential issues affecting cost, time, or value.
– Assist in the development and implementation of new and existing commercial control measures.
– Assist and commercially review bids with the bid team to identify risks and opportunities, provide supply chain feedback, current industry trends and analysis on as built costs from previous projects.
– Provide advice and support to Contracts Managers and the wider team on commercial and contractual issues.
– Monitor and maintain the commercial team performance through regular 1-2-1 reviews, weekly objectives, and appraisals.
– Assist with QS duties prior to the project quantity surveyor becoming available to “plug the gap” in resource which would include, but not be limited to, procurement, reporting, payments, and such like.
– Ensure projects are closed within 3 months of Practical Completion with both the Subcontractor and the client OR have a clear plan in place to close as soon as practical. All Subcontract accounts should have a signed final account statement.
– Agree target margins with the Commercial Manager for each project and take full profit and loss accountability for the projects.
– Attend site meetings as necessary to support the project team.
– Manage and develop the commercial team, ensuring workload is covered effectively and to ensure compliance and processes are being followed.
– Promote best practice amongst the commercial team.
– Ensure that accurate and timely monthly Cost & Value Reports are completed.
– Actively interrogate the commercial reports prior to the CVR meetings to ensure the most realistic outcomes are being presented and attend meetings as necessary.
– Ensure that commercial and administrative systems, budgets, and cost control procedures are completed for each project.
– Maximise cash flow through the control, measurement and valuation of work, and the invoicing of customers and payment of suppliers on time and in accordance with any contract.
– Produce/ compile accurate forecasts/ budget information and produce accurate reports to client, maintaining and improving client relations as well as ensuring full entitlement under the contract is achieved.
– Maximise margin through commercial controls on Subcontract accounts, and through recovery via client variations.
– Ensure contract commercial deliverables, timescales and objectives are met.
– Assess, review, and mitigate commercial and contractual risks.
– Responsible for ensuring works are valued, including any variation thereto, in accordance with the contract and analysis to determine the project True Value.
– Ensure client relationships are managed commercially and intervene in any disagreement between the project QS and the client before it becomes an issue.
– Ensure procurement is carried out and completed with robust sets of tender information, scopes of work and such like to ensure minimal risk to the business is minimised one the subcontract is placed.
– Ensure that Subcontracts and Consultant Appointments are robust prior to their issue to the supply chain.
– Assist with the provision of information and compiling of contractual letters for any dispute that may arise with Subcontractor, Consultants or Clients.
– Ensure new and existing staff are competent in using the company financial systems.
– Ensure payment and pay less notices are being issued in accordance with the Subcontract and Construction Act.
– Ensure procurement schedules are agreed with the project team and that the project team are all involved in the procurement process, ensuring that procurement is carried out in line with any agreed schedule.
– Review and assess any Subcontract claims for loss and expense and ensure no payments are made without the appropriate particulars and substantiation having been provided.
– Ensure accurate prelim forecasting and challenge the project team where they are not buying in accordance with the agreed forecast to ensure we are getting best value.
|Turquoise Thread level employees should be able to display the competencies across blue and green levels as well display the below:
|Experience working for a similar role in a main contractor or a Senior QS looking to take the next step in their career who can demonstrate management and leadership of a commercial team.|
What We Offer
In return we offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications. We also offer attractive benefits that include pension, holiday purchasing scheme and life assurance.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please ensure that you fit the eligibility criteria above. Send your cv and a covering letter using the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to each one and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.