J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit a Quantity Surveyor.
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Care, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Engineering Services, Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
Objectives / Purpose of Role
To minimise commercial risk by ensuring correct contract administration, project financial reporting,
and the financial management of multi job repairs partnering contracts and small works projects.
· Administer and enforce business commercial procedures;
· Provide assistance, guidance and support to the operational teams in the areas of: Contract
Compliance, The financial impact of decisions; Value maximisation/cost saving techniques;
· Management of WIP levels across contracts to minimise WIP and maximise invoice levels.
· Work with operational and technical teams to establish, monitor and update benchmark and
target delivery rates;
· Ensure all contractual notifications and procedures are correctly in place and adhered to by the
· Reporting on monthly performance on contracts alongside operations
· Reporting accurate information to senior management when required
· Preparation on month end accounts for review with the Commercial Manager
· Place all sub-contract orders in line with main contract, industry standards and business
· Measure works carried out against SOR;
· Billing of works/production and negotiation of monthly and final applications for payment;
· Placing and subsequent financial management of sub-contract agreements;
· Accurately monitor, forecast and report project cost and value;
· Assist commercial manager in the production of the monthly management accounts;
· Ensure additional works are notified, measured and valued in line with contractual, industry and
· Assessment and payment of sub-contract invoices in line with contractual, industry and business
requirements (including the issuing of notifications);
· Ability to interrogate various systems and interpret financial data
· Identify opportunities to maximise profitability and minimise commercial risks through contract
analysis and using PIP
· Results Orientation – Demonstrating a commitment to achieve results against required standards.
· Planning & Organising – Ability to think ahead, plan, prioritise and schedule activities, along with monitoring
and controlling outcomes.
· Problem Solving – The ability to identify issues, obstacles and opportunities. The individual must also develop and implement effective solutions. · Decision Making – The ability to analyse, define and justify options, and propose appropriate decisions.
Experience and Knowledge
· Experience on PSA SOR contracts (D)
· Degree in Quantity Surveying (D)
· At least 5 years’ experience within the construction industry (D)
· Full UK driving licence (E)
Core Values and Behaviours
· Being Authentic – Being open and honest and ensuring that everything is done with integrity. The individual
must work within the team to solve the issue and find a solution.
· Delivering on Our Promises – Having the ability to listen, check expectation and agree the commitment that
is required, ensuring that this takes place.
· Looking Forward – Identifying opportunities, threats and changes that require an action.
· Anything is Possible – ensuring that every opportunity and benefit is grasped by the company and by the
· Ownership – Leading by example and setting high standards of conduct and behaviour within the business.
· Successful Relationships – The ability to create and maintain successful relationships, both internally and
What We Offer
In return we offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications. We also offer attractive benefits that include pension, holiday purchasing scheme and life assurance.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please ensure that you fit the eligibility criteria above. Send your cv and a covering letter using the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to each one and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.