Quantity Surveyor – Commercial Refurbishment
J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit a Quantity Surveyor, in our Commercial Refurbishment Department.
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Construction, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (M&E), Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
– Ensure the Commercial Manager is kept informed of any potential issues affecting cost, time or value.
– Work in accordance with and new and existing commercial control measures.
– Provide any feedback necessary to support bid on current rates and market trends.
– Provide support to Contracts Managers and the wider team on commercial and contractual issues.
– Ensure projects are closed down within 3 months of Practical Completion with both the Subcontractor and the client OR have a clear plan in place to close down as soon as practical. All Subcontract accounts should have a signed final account statement.
– Work towards and be accountable for achieving target margins set by the management team
– Attend all necessary site meetings including, but not limited to, client progress meetings, subcontract pre-order/ pre-start meetings, design meetings and such like.
– Promote best practice amongst the project team.
– Ensure that accurate and timely monthly Cost & Value Reports are completed.
– Present commercial reports to the Commercial Manager prior to any CVR meetings to allow interrogation of the figures to ensure the realistic position is being presented.
– Ensure that commercial and administrative systems, budgets and cost control procedures are completed for each project.
– Maximise cash flow through the control, measurement and valuation of work, and the invoicing of customers and payment of suppliers on time and in accordance with any contract.
– Produce/ compile accurate forecasts/ budget information and produce accurate reports to client, maintaining and improving client relations as well as ensuring full entitlement under the contract is achieved.
– Maximise margin through commercial controls on Subcontract accounts, and through recovery via client variations.
– Ensure contract commercial deliverables, timescales and objectives are met.
– Assess, review and mitigate commercial and contractual risks.
– Responsible for ensuring works are valued, including any variation thereto, in accordance with the contract and analysis to determine the project True Value.
– Ensure client relationships are managed commercially and highlight any issues that may become an issue to the Commercial Manager
– Ensure that Subcontracts and Consultant Appointments are robust prior to their issue to the supply chain.
– Carry out and complete procurement with robust sets of tender information, scopes of work and such like to ensure minimal risk to the business is minimised one the subcontract is placed.
– Assist with the provision of information and compiling of contractual letters for any dispute that may arise with Subcontractor, Consultants or Clients.
– Ensure payment and pay less notices are being issued in accordance with the Subcontract and Construction Act.
– Ensure procurement schedules are agreed with the project team and that the project team are all involved in the procurement process, ensuring that procurement is carried out in line with any agreed schedule.
– Review and assess any Subcontract claims for loss and expense and ensure no payments are made without the appropriate particulars and substantiation having been provided.
– Ensure accurate prelim forecasting and challenge the project team where they are not buying in accordance with the agreed forecast to ensure we are getting best value.
What We Offer
In return we offer a competitive salary that will be dependent upon your experiences and qualifications as a Quantity Surveyor.
You will be given the option of a company car or car allowance, including company laptop and phone. We also offer attractive benefits that include pension, life assurance and a comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme.
Apply for this Job
If you wish to apply for this position please ensure you fit the criteria above. Please send a CV and covering letter stating why you would be an excellent candidate for the role using the form below.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to everyone and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.