Quantity Surveyor – Commercial Refurbishment
J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit a Quantity Surveyor, in our Commercial Refurbishment Department.
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Construction, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (M&E), Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
To carry out the day to day commercial function at a project level on a number of projects. The QS must ensure that the Commercial Manager is kept informed of any potential issues that could affect project or business performance as soon as they become aware. They should ensure that amongst other things, all client valuations, agreement of variations, commercial management of subcontractors, subcontract payments, procurement and reporting is completed to an agreed timetable.
- Promote and demonstrate our one team ethos both externally and internally
- Ensure the Commercial Manager is kept informed of any potential issues affecting cost, time or value
- Work in accordance with agreed commercial procedures and associated timetable for completion
- Have a good working knowledge of the head form of Contract and be able to advise on key issues
- Have a good working knowledge of the Sub-Contract and be able to advise on key issues
- Provide any feedback necessary to support bid on current rates and market trends
- Provide support to Contracts Managers and the wider team on commercial and contractual issues
- Ensure projects are closed down within 3 months of Practical Completion with both the Subcontractor and the client OR have a clear plan in place to close down as soon as practical. All Subcontract accounts should have a signed final account statement
- Work towards and be accountable for achieving target margins set by the management team
- Attend all necessary site meetings including, but not limited to, client progress meetings, subcontract pre-order/ pre-start meetings, design meetings and such like
- Ensure that accurate monthly Cost & Value Reports are completed to the agreed timetable
- Present commercial reports to the Commercial Manager prior to any CVR meetings to allow interrogation of the figures to ensure the realistic position is being presented (in line with timetable)
- Ensure that commercial, IFS (and other administrative systems as required), budgets and cost control procedures are completed for each project.
- Maximise cash flow through the control, measurement and valuation of work, and the invoicing of customers and payment of suppliers on time and in accordance with any contract.
- Produce/ compile accurate forecasts/ budget information and produce accurate reports to client, maintaining and improving client relations as well as ensuring full entitlement under the contract is achieved
- Review of design decisions on a commercial basis including involvement in value engineering exercises where possible to assist in minimising costs
- Pricing and agreement of client variations in a timely manner
- Maximise margin through commercial controls on Subcontract accounts, and through recovery via client variations
- Assess, review and mitigate commercial and contractual risks
- Responsible for ensuring works are valued, including any variation thereto, in accordance with the contract and analysis to determine the projects true internal value
- Ensure client relationships are managed commercially and highlight any issues that may become an issue to the Commercial Manager
- Ensure that Subcontracts and Consultant Appointments are robust prior to their issue to the supply chain
- Carry out and complete procurement with robust sets of tender information, scopes of work and such like to ensure minimal risk to the business is minimised one the subcontract is placed
- Assist with the provision of information and compiling of contractual letters for any dispute that may arise with Subcontractor, Consultants or Clients.
- Be aware of and be able to issue contractual notices as appropriate under the head or Sub-Contract
- Ensure payment and pay less notices are being issued in accordance with the Subcontract and Construction Act.
- Ensure procurement schedules are agreed with the project team and that the project team are all involved in the procurement process, ensuring that procurement is carried out in line with any agreed schedule.
- Review and assess any Subcontract claims for loss and expense and ensure no payments are made without the appropriate particulars and substantiation having been provided.
- Ensure accurate prelim forecasting and challenge the project team where they are not buying in accordance with the agreed forecast to ensure we are getting best value
- Be a proactive member of the commercial team and seek out continuous improvement of processes to promote efficiency
- Support the development of more junior members of the commercial team by providing suitable work and guidance/training to carry out such work
Experience working for a main contractor in a similar role or an assistant QS looking to take the next step in their career who can demonstrate successful responsibility on construction projects of a similar size and/ or nature.
Apply for this Job
What We Offer
In return we offer a competitive salary that will be dependent upon your experiences and qualifications. We also offer attractive benefits that include: pension and life assurance.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please ensure that you fit the eligibility criteria above. Send your cv and a covering letter to the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to everyone and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.