Senior Quantity Surveyor
J Tomlinson is an established, privately-owned company with a substantial heritage and wealth of experience in delivering integrated building solutions tailored to public and private sector clients. Due to our continued success and on-going commitment to providing a world-class service to our customers, we are looking to recruit a Senior Quantity Surveyor.
Our extensive portfolio of services includes the provision of Care, Commercial Refurbishment, Repairs and Maintenance, Engineering Services, Regeneration Programmes, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, and Facilities Management. We offer a totally integrated building solution.
|Job Title||Senior Quantity Surveyor|
|Objectives / Purpose of Role|
|To carry out the day to day commercial function at a site level on a single or number of projects, with the potential to manage a small commercial team of assistants or administrative staff. The Senior QS must ensure that the Managing QS is kept a informed of any potential issues that could affect project or business performance in a timely manner and should ensure that amongst other things, all client valuations, subcontract payments, procurement and reporting is completed in a timely manner.|
|– Ensure the Managing QS is kept informed of any potential issues affecting cost, time or value.
– Assist in the implementation of new and existing commercial control measures.
– Provide any feedback necessary to support bid on current rates and market trends.
– Provide support to Contracts Managers and the wider team on commercial and contractual issues.
– Ensure projects are closed down within 3 months of Practical Completion with both the Subcontractor sand the client OR have a clear plan in place to close down as soon as practical. All Subcontract accounts should have a signed final account statement.
– Work towards and be accountable for achieving target margins set by the management team
– Attend all necessary site meetings including, but not limited to, client progress meetings, subcontract pre-order/ pre-start meetings, design meetings and such like.
– Assist in the management and development of any direct staff reports, ensuring workload is covered effectively and to ensure compliance and processes are being followed.
– Promote best practice amongst the project team.
– Ensure that accurate and timely monthly Cost & Value Reports are completed.
– Present commercial reports to the Managing QS prior to any CVR meetings to allow interrogation of the figures to ensure the realistic position is being presented.
– Ensure that commercial and administrative systems, budgets and cost control procedures are completed for each project.
– Maximise cash flow through the control, measurement and valuation of work, and the invoicing of customers and payment of suppliers on time and in accordance with any contract.
– Produce/ compile accurate forecasts/ budget information and produce accurate reports to client, maintaining and improving client relations as well as ensuring full entitlement under the contract is achieved.
– Maximise margin through commercial controls on Subcontract accounts, and through recovery via client variations.
– Ensure contract commercial deliverables, timescales and objectives are met.
– Assess, review and mitigate commercial and contractual risks.
– Responsible for ensuring works are valued, including any variation thereto, in accordance with the contract and analysis to determine the project True Value.
– Ensure client relationships are managed commercially and highlight any issues that may become an issue to the Managing QS.
– Ensure that Subcontracts and Consultant Appointments are robust prior to their issue to the supply chain.
– Assist with the provision of information and compiling of contractual letters for any dispute that may arise with Subcontractor, Consultants or Clients.
– Carry out and complete procurement with robust sets of tender information, scopes of work and such like to ensure minimal risk to the business is minimised one the subcontract is placed.
– Ensure any direct staff reports are proficient in using the company financial systems.
– Ensure payment and pay less notices are being issued in accordance with the Subcontract and Construction Act.
– Ensure procurement schedules are agreed with the project team and that the project team are all involved in the procurement process, ensuring that procurement is carried out in line with any agreed schedule.
– Review and assess any Subcontract claims for loss and expense and ensure no payments are made without the appropriate particulars and substantiation having been provided.
Ensure accurate prelim forecasting and challenge the project team where they are not buying in accordance with the agreed forecast to ensure we are getting best value.
|Experience working for a main contractor in a similar role or a Quantity Surveyor looking to take the next step in their career who can demonstrate successful responsibility on construction projects of a similar size and/ or nature.|
What We Offer
In return we offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications. We also offer attractive benefits that include pension and life assurance.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please ensure that you fit the eligibility criteria above. Send your cv and a covering letter using the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Due to a high volume of applications we receive we regret that we cannot respond to each one and may only contact you if your application is successful.
J Tomlinson is proud to be recognised as a Disability Confident Committed employer. We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.