Mechanical and Electrical System Installations – St Oswald’s Hospital, Ashbourne
The new St Oswald's Hospital, in Ashbourne, was designed specifically to manage the increase in the local elderly population and their medical needs. The overall project was worth £20million and consisted of a 7,000 square metre 3 storey building housing a health centre and 24 bed community hospital
Full Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) Services
South Derbyshire LIFTCo
- Main Contractor
- Services Provided by J Tomlinson
M&E, Energy Efficiency
The client, South Derbyshire LIFT Company is a Public-Private Partnership established to improve the primary care estate and access to health and social services for all residents locally.
The project involved a Public Private Partnership between Community Health Partnerships, Local PCT’s and Local Authorities and Primary Plus (a joint venture between Laing O’Rourke and Lloyds Banking Group) so it was essential that a collaborative approach to the work was undertaken.
Creating an energy efficient, sustainable building was a critical consideration for the LIFT Co, both in terms of reducing their environmental impact and their on-going operating costs. The project required that the finished building achieve a BREEAM Healthcare (B4H) Excellent rating standard.
J Tomlinson Solution
J Tomlinson was engaged by South Derbyshire LIFT Company and Laing O’Rourke to provide Mechanical and Electrical system installations on the project. In line with the building energy efficiency requirements J Tomlinson provided Design and Installation of M&E systems including: high efficiency dual fuel (gas and oil) heating systems feeding ceiling mounted radiant panels to maximise the client’s available wall space, backup power generation, maximised use of natural ventilation with a balance of heat recovery mechanical ventilation and chiller units where required. All systems were designed and installed in full compliance with HTM’s (Health Technical Memoranda) and HBN’s (Health Building Notice).
With our considerable healthcare experience (this was the 13th medical centre scheme we had worked on for Laing O’Rourke), we were able to provide our specialist knowledge of the technical and operational aspects of the design and installation of the M&E services to the hospital and medical centre, including detailed and meticulous planning, a clear understanding of building services, effective client communication and exceptional supply team relationships.
- BREEAM B4H Rating – the Department of Health require, as part of the Outline of Business Case approval, that all new builds achieve an Excellent rating under BREEAM Healthcare. J Tomlinson assisted in ensuring St Oswald’s Hospital obtained the BREEAM B4H Rating.
- Collaborative approach – J Tomlinson’s successful close collaborative approach with all parties involved in the new build was key to ensuring this building’s complex delivery and was critical in its timely completion.
- Repeat work for Client – this was the 13th high quality design and install solution undertaken by J Tomlinson for the clients.
- High quality work, on time & on budget – J Tomlinson supplied high quality, finished works, within the required timescales and on budget.