Dunelm Group plc – Design & Build Nottingham branch
J Tomlinson was appointed to undertake the design and build of Dunelm’s new 23,000 sq. ft. Nottingham branch, along with additional landscaping works, including a large public car park and external lighting.
Design and build of Dunelm’s new 23,000 sq. ft. Nottingham branch, along with additional landscaping works, including a large public car park and external lighting.
Dunelm Group plc
- Main Contractor
J Tomlinson Ltd
- Services Provided by J Tomlinson
- Design and build of new Nottinghamshire store
- Integrated construction and M&E services
- Steel frame structure
- External works undertaken (i.e. car park)
Dunelm Group plc – formerly Dunelm Mill – is one of the largest homeware retailers in the UK, operating over 165 stores nationwide. The company is featured on the FTSE 100 Index, which consists of the 101st to the 350th largest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange.
In 2016, J Tomlinson was appointed to undertake the design and build of Dunelm’s new 23,000 sq ft Nottingham branch, along with additional landscaping works, including a large public car park and external lighting.
The two-storey building features an atrium design with heightened ceilings, a feature staircase and customer lifts. The building was compromised of a steel frame construction, metal work cladding and a masonry glass façade.
The city centre location of the build would require the implementation a detailed traffic management plan.
From its outset, the project attracted a considerable amount of public and media attention, meaning that exceptional quality was necessary throughout in order to maintain both Dunelm and J Tomlinson’s reputable brand image.
J Tomlinson Solution
As the client required the building’s design to effectively showcase its products, J Tominson’s design and build coordinator incorporated a glass façade to draw attention to the branch, with our in-house M&E team installing feature lighting including LED up-lights and down-lights to exhibit individual displays to the optimal effect.
The building’s up-lights were adjustable for visual merchandising staff to tailor to various products, providing the most visually appealing design to the public. This was especially important due to the building’s location on a busy main road leading to the city centre.
The project was largely constructed of a steel frame and metal cladding system, and it was therefore essential that suppliers were able to provide materials in readiness for the build. Early procurement of the steel frame structure, identifying the best value UK supplier, ensured that this key part of the build was delivered on time, with J Tomlinson able to meet critical milestones of in line with the project programme.
Based on site each day, our site manager monitored the quality of workmanship to ensure compliance to the specification and best practice Samples were sent to the client for their approval before orders were submitted. Furthermore, our in-house quality and compliance department carried out fortnightly inspections, identifying areas where quality could be improved.
The build was completed on time and within budget and was commended for its high quality finish.
- ON-TIME & IN-BUDGET COMPLETION
- HIGH QUALITY FINISH – gaining commendation from the client
- Integrated Construction and M&E services
- LANDSCAPING WORKS – including large public car park and external LED lighting
- BUSY CITY CENTRE LOCATION – Successful traffic management plan implemented within busy city centre location
- SPECIALIST, AESTHETICALLY-PLEASING DESIGN – helped attract custom to the new store
- EXCEPTIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY STANDARDS – Accident-free project
- HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED PROJECT – construction process attracted a high degree of public and media attention
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY FEATURES – Including LED lighting
- METICULOUS SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT